Saturday, May 1, 2010

Ceej and Desist

Mark Steyn updates us on his, ahem, difference of opinon with Ceej chief Bernie Farber. In case you aren't up to speed on topic, here's the condensed version: Steyn assumed that a piece that appeared on the Ceej website without attribution and sans linkage to the original article had been penned by Farber, and quoted in his Maclean's column. Farber, mustering his highest dudgeon, demanded a retraction and an apology. What he got was a printed "clarification" and his "gotcha" letter published in the magazine. Whereupon Steyn flambéed Farber (an appropriate fate for a Jewish book-burner) in his latest Maclean's column, an epic smackdown.

Steyn notes that Farber is still waiting for an "apology" from him. But if you've been following the debate on free speech in this country, and the part that Canada's most prominent Jewish organization continues to play in squelching that most crucial freedom, supposedly for the "psychological well-being" of Canadian Jewry, it may seem to you, as it does to me, the Jew's the one who should be apologizing--and then doing his utmost to undo the damage that state censorship and the wretched "human rights" reign of "virtue" has wrought.
Since that's about as likely to occur as Salman Hossain being clapped in irons and led away to account for his Zionhass, I've taken the liberty of imagining a tuneful non-apology: music by Elton John, words adapted by moi:

What did I go and do to make you mock me?
What did I go and do to make you "mean"?
Why go and snipe at Dick, my proxy,
A hero stalking 'Nazis' still unseen?
What do I do to buff my image
Now that  I've been made to look absurd?
What do I do to halt the scrimmage
Since sorry's not my customary word?

It's bad, so bad
It's an act of desperation.
I'll sign a letter; flip the bird.
It's bad, so bad.
No way we'll talk it over.
Oh, it seems for me
That sorry seems to be the dumbest word...

2 comments:

Blazingcatfur said...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_DfCoy_kQh08/S9wrCQVNy0I/AAAAAAAAB3A/MblJh6XmjoE/s1600/burnyhomer.jpg

Winston said...

Mark Steyn is always a must read on everything and he is right 100% of the time.