Saturday, August 21, 2010

Open Wide and Say Allahu Akbar?

P.J. O'Rourke writes:
The strength of America is not economic, military, or diplomatic. The strength of America is an idea — an idea of a place where people have information, understanding, and control over their lives. Once, during the civil war in Lebanon, I was stopped at a Hezbollah checkpoint by a teenager with an AK-47. When the young man saw my American passport I was subjected, with a gun muzzle in my face, to a twenty minute tirade about “great American satan devil.” I was told that America had caused war, famine, injustice, Zionism, and poverty all over the world. Then, when the boy had finished his rant, he lowered his gun and said, “As soon as I get my Green Card I am going to Dearborn, Michigan, to study dentist school.”
And the great thing about that is that you can live in Dearborn (or Dearbornistan, as some waggish "Islamophobes" have been known to call it) and still be hot for Hezbo. Which kind of makes it the best of both worlds, don't you think?

No comments: