Monday, February 28, 2011

Names That Speak Volumes About Our Civilization

I just started reading Julie Rose's translation of Victor Hugo's Les Miserables (a novel I have never read) and came across this--Monseigneur Bienvenue's listing of God's names. I liked it so much (because of what I think it says about the Judeo-Christianity that, along with the ancient Greek, forms the basis of Western civilization) that I had to share:
Oh, Thou who art!

     Ecclesiastes names you the Almighty; the Maccabees name you the Creator; the Epistle to the Ephesians names you Liberty; Baruch names you Immensity; the Psalms name you Wisdom and Truth; John names you Light; the Book of Kings names you Lord; Exodus calls you Providence; Leviticus, Holiness; Esdras, Justice; Creation names you God; mankind names you Father; but Solomon names you Mercy and of all your names, that is the most beautiful.
Please note that "Liberty" is not one of Allah's 99 names.

No comments: