- issued a fatwa for Islamonline, outlining six different conditions in which a wife may properly be beaten according to his understanding of “Islamic teaching,” because, he stated, “there are cases … in which a wife persists in bad habits.”
- played a part in a November 2004 fatwa by the International Union of Muslim Scholars decreeing that it was a religious “duty” for all able-bodied Muslims inside and outside Iraq to wage jihad against the American military.
- justified Muslim suicide bombings as a legitimate tactic of jihad.
Update: Also on the bill--Imam Zaid Shakir, a radical sort of chap who:
- Contends that Muslims cannot accept the legitimacy of the existing American order.
- Criticizes the U.S. for its “pattern of demonization, destabilization, and the invasion of hapless Third World nations.
- Claims that organizations such as Hamas and al Qaeda are pursuing manifestly legitimate objectives.