Saturday, June 15, 2013

Tupac Mama Drama at TDSB All-Boys School

The Toronto Star reports that there's a new all-boys Toronto Public School that aims to break "stereotypes." One of the ways it's doing so, apparently, is by using the lyrics of a Tupac Shakur song--"Dear Mama"--to teach that it's okay to "express gratitude." Here are some words from that song:
I reminice on the stress I caused, it was hell
Huggin on my mama from a jail cell
And who'd think in elementary?
Heeey! I see the penitentiary, one day
And runnin from the police, that's right
Mama catch me, put a whoopin to my backside
And even as a crack fiend, mama
You always was a black queen, mama
I finally understand
for a woman it ain't easy tryin to raise a man
You always was committed
So...touching. Like "My Yiddishe Mama"--for gangsta crack heads (which, BTW, is another kind of stereotype, one which this program might be wiser to avoid, no?).

No comments: