Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Stop the Carousel I Want to Get Off

Re last night's presidential performance, Mitch Pearlstein writes:
Right at the very end of President Obama’s State of the Union address, when he started talking about “feet planted firmly on the ground,” I thought he might break out into at least a recitation of the “Soliloquy” from Carousel. And no, I’m not being the least bit disrespectful by noting this, as never has there been a showstopper, at least by my footlights, as terrific as Billy Bigelow’s. If only Rodgers and Hammerstein (especially Oscar in this instance) had a few weeks to work with Obama in New Haven.
Dunno about you, but I feel a song coming on:

My health bill

I will see that it's named after me.
My health bill
Will be big and will make history,
You'll see!
Like a weed it'll grow
Without DDT
And its roots planted firm in our hearts.
And you won't see no bloody GOP
Dare to break it or take it apart!
No gun-totin', God-fearin' donkey'll
Take it apart!...

No comments: