Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Former Prez of Canada's Green Party Shocked to Discover Endemic Zionhass in Activist Ranks

Paul Estrin's bitter epiphany appears in the CJN:
Being a Jewish activist in an anti-Israel activist world is difficult, to say the least. I know how degrading and de-moralizing –  how painful –  it can be. You learn to turn a blind eye to so much vile vitriol because you’re trying to fight for what is just and right. My recent history with the Green Party of Canada (GPC), the political party I was president of before being summarily tossed because of my views on Israel, is illustrative of a larger problem in the activist world. 
After I published a blog post on the party website entitled “Why Gaza makes me sad,” I was pilloried within the party. Many of the responses to my essay were blatantly anti-Semitic. A letter posted to the website Unpublished Ottawa argued, “It is abundantly clear to me that he [meaning me] is a Zionist shill.” The letter claimed Jews “have taken control of most of our major institutions, including the media, the banks, and the government,” and described my religion as a “supremacist cult.” “Remember who did 9/11 –  the same criminal state which is now destroying Gaza,” the writer intoned. 
The letter was penned by Monika Schaefer, a Green candidate in the last federal election whose participation in the party dates back to its founding convention. It was posted online by Peter Johnston, a former member of the party’s board of directors. 
It gets worse...
Of course it does. But since I am neither a leftist nor a naif nor a member of the Green Party, I'm not at all shocked to find Zionhass lurking like an ugly troll amongst the sanctimonious "we're-so-virtuous" mob.

No comments: