Tuesday, June 21, 2016

In DOJ Transcripts, Omar Mateen's Name for God--i.e. "Allah"--Is Lost In Translation

So after a public outcry, LoLy's DOJ released an unredacted version of Omar Mateen's calls to police.

Unredacted, perhaps, but not exactly untampered with, as you can see in this transcript of one of the calls (not my bolds):
Orlando Police Dispatcher (OD)
Shooter (OM)

OD: Emergency 911, this is being recorded.

OM: In the name of God the Merciful, the beneficial [in Arabic]

OD: What?

OM: Praise be to God, and prayers as well as peace be upon the prophet of God [in Arabic]. I let you know, I’m in Orlando and I did the shootings.

OD: What’s your name?

OM: My name is I pledge of allegiance to [omitted].

OD: Ok, What’s your name?

OM: I pledge allegiance to [omitted] may God protect him [in Arabic], on behalf of [omitted].
"God the Merciful" sounds non-threatening and almost, well, Jewish. (One has the sense that Obama's DOJ would be inclined to translate "Allahu Akbar!" as "Go, God!")

"Allah the Merciful," on the other hand, is as Islamic--and, in Mateen's case, as jihadist--as it gets. (As for that "beneficial"--I'm no linguist, but I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be "beneficent." And the name that's been "[omitted]" is none other than the Islamic scholar--he's a PhD, no less--who heads up ISIS.)

So who, exactly, do the Obami think they're fooling with this translation (aside from themselves, I mean)?

Update: Obama had done that "Voila, no Allah" thing before.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Many believe the word “Allah” was derived from the mid- eastern word “el” which in Ugaritic, Caananite and Hebrew can mean a true or false God. This is not the case, “The source of this (Allah) goes back to pre-Muslim times. Allah is not a common name meaning “God” (or a “god”), and the Muslim must use another word or form if he wishes to indicate any other than his own peculiar deity.” (Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics (ed. Hastings), I:326.)

http://www.letusreason.org/islam6.htm

gama said...

Glad that prick was martyred .....headed to his celestial bordello and 79 raisins ... thee-hee-hee ~!?!