Monday, May 15, 2017

Canuckian Political Correctness Claims Its Latest Victim: Jonathan Kay

Kay has resigned as editor of insufferable/unreadable Canadian periodical, The Walrus. He did so, clearly, to stave off the indignity of being fired. His "crime": he dared to diverge from acceptable leftoid thinking on the subject of "cultural appropriation."

You can read all about the "controversy" (or what passes for controversy in Canada's Stalinistic "progressive" cultural corridors) here.

Meanwhile, Kay, a former conservative who tried to move leftward for the sake of his career (hey, a guy has to feed his kids, right?) admits that, when your heart and soul aren't entirely in it, changing your worldview is really hard to do--and exacts way too high a price:
“From the beginning, it was obvious that it was going to be difficult for me to balance my instincts as a National Post-bred opinion writer with the more staid responsibilities associated with the leadership of a respected media brand,” Kay wrote in an email. “In recent months especially, I have been censoring myself more and more, and my colleagues have sometimes been rightly upset by disruptions caused by my media appearances. 
“Something had to give, and I decided to make the first move. I took no severance.”
However, he did leave with some semblance of backbone, which, in the long run, is going to be worth a lot more.

Update: Don't miss Mark Steyn's take on the matter.

No comments: